Keep your Easter chocolate out of reach of your pets!

At Easter time nearly all of us will have some chocolate in the house. But please don’t be tempted to share it with your dog, or even give them a small piece, and be very careful not to leave any lying around where your dog can reach it and help themselves.

‘Human’ chocolate is very poisonous to dogs.

There’s a toxic compound in chocolate and cocoa called theobromine. Theobromine poisoning is a common poisoning that we see at Blake Vets. The higher the cocoa content, the more dangerous the chocolate is for pets.


The symptoms of theobromine poisoning are visible within the first few hours and include:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • hyperactivity.

As time passes and absorption of the toxic substance increases the symptoms worsen to:

  • an increased heart rate.
  • arrhythmia (a disturbance in the heart beat)
  • restlessness and hyperactivity
  • muscle twitching
  • increased urination
  • excessive panting.

This can lead to hyperthermia, muscle tremors, seizures, coma and even death.

If you think your dog may have chocolate poisoning, you should get it to the vet straight away.

Don’t just hide your chocolate away from your family’s sweet-teeth, but keep it safely out of reach of your pet too!

< Back to articles

Be the early bird - sign-up to our newsletter

We'll email you our bi-monthly brave pet stories, pet care advice, offers and other news from Blake Vets.
You can unsubscribe at any time and we never pass your details to others. You can find out more about how we use and store your personal information in our Privacy Policy.

* indicates required