Spring flower dangers to pets

The warmer weather, spring and the gardening season are almost here! You and your pet might be spending more time outdoors. You need to be aware of the potential dangers spring plants can bring for your pets so you can keep an eye on your pet and keep them safe.

Both daffodils and crocus are harmful for your pets. In this post we tell you a little bit more about each plant and the symptoms that you pet might show if they have eaten all or part of the plant.




Daffodils contain lycorine, an organic plant compound that triggers vomiting. Eating the bulb, plant or flower can cause:

  • drooling
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • increased heart rate
  • abdominal pain
  • abnormal breathing
  • heart rate irregularities.

If you suspect your pet has eaten daffodils, particularly the bulbs, we recommend contacting your vet immediately.


There are two types of Crocus plants: one that blooms in the spring (Crocus species) and the other in the autumn (Colchicum autumnale).
The spring plants are more common and are part of the Iridaceae family. Eating spring crocus can cause general gastrointestinal upset including:

  • drooling
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea (sometimes with blood)
  • loss of appetite
  • black-tarry stool.

The autumn crocus, part of the Liliaceae family, is much more toxic as it contains colchicine. It can cause all of the above symptoms plus severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage, respiratory failure and even death. Signs may be seen immediately but can also be delayed for a few days.

If your pet has eaten crocus and shows these symptoms, take your pet to the vet immediately for care. If you’re not sure what type of crocus it is that your pet has eaten, take a sample of the plant with you.

< Back to articles

Be the early bird - sign-up to our newsletter

We'll email you our bi-monthly brave pet stories, pet care advice, offers and other news from Blake Vets.

* indicates required